November 4, 2009

The Ultimate Mom-Baby Playlist


On Sunday, I had a little get together for family and friends after BABY's baptism. Just a little brunch at my place. I didn't want to do anything too fussy. I wanted it to be low key, casual and comfortable.

And that's how I approached the planning.

I started by inviting an intimidate group of my really close friends and family. The ones that I see and talk to regularly. The people that are really connected to BABY and see her often. I skipped the catering, and planned a menu of appetizers, sandwiches and salads that I could prepare the day before. While I would never call myself an expert chef, I do enjoy cooking for people.

But before groceries were bought, or a pan was put on the stove, I was preparing for the most important part. The music. I made the ultimate of Baptism after party playlists, that began as one celebrating the love between moms and their daughters.

Since I am very much a giving, generous and good spirited blogger, I will share this with you - in hopes that it too can be the foundation for the parties you are having. Baptisms, birthday parties, baby showers, Mother's Day, Labor Playlists, whatever the need maybe. I got cha!

On this playlist, it was important to me that the songs represent different eras, different artists - you know, since that's how I roll! I wanted it to be something that my older family members and younger friends could sing along to. So you will see that there is everything from Jackson Five, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations to Dixie Chicks, Michael Buble, Whitney Houston to Jay-Z, Lauryn Hill, Kanye West.

The songs also included "love songs" - such as This Magic Moment and No Air - but I felt that it still fit the theme.

Check it out:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones!



You can either build the playlist so that the sequence of songs is perfect, or hit "shuffle" for more spontaneity.

For the Baptism I added to that some more reggae - as a tribute to my West Indian family, which included some Beres Hammond, Tony Rebel, Tarrus Riley, Sizzla, more Bob Marley. I also added another playlist that I had with some of my favorite gospel from Mary Mary, Donnie McClurkin, Kirk Franklin, Yolanda Adams and even 'Jesus Walks' from Kayne West and 'Faithful' from Common. (Unfortunately Playlist.com didn't have all of the songs that I used.)

Hope you enjoy!
~ humps

4 comments:

Unknown on 10:13:00 PM said...

Big hugs for you and Baby! I WILL call you sometime after Little One's first birthday party this weekend. Can you believe this time last year you were visiting me at the hospital!?!?! How quickly a year passes!

Love the new look of your blog! XOXO

humpsNbump on 1:13:00 AM said...

C - I can't believe that it has been a year since I visited you in the hospital! I really can't!

Thanks for the compliment on the blog design. Just played around with it a little bit.

Kiss Little One for me. Talk soon.

XOXO humps

ck on 9:01:00 AM said...

That is a fantastic play list. Uplifting, nostalgic, meaningful. BABY's gonna grow up humming some pretty great tunes!

Miranda on 3:21:00 PM said...

I really like that Cannibus song! I'm all about the music at gatherings. I might just have to leave this post open for a bit though, to listen to the music! Excuse me while I peek around some more!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com Distributed by Deluxe Templates