April 4, 2009

The Big Day – leaving work


April 3rd was probably as deeply etched into my mind as the baby’s due date – April 18th. I was counting down to April 3rd for weeks. Months even. As soon as I made the decision to leave work two weeks before my due date, I started to anticipate the arrival of THIS Big Day.

And here in Canada where moms are encouraged to take 1 year maternity + parental leave, I head out the door knowing that I won’t be back until this time next year. A full 12 months of bonding with the baby. My job will be waiting for me when I get back.

You would think that I was doing the electric slide out of the door! Or the hustle. Surprisingly it was a day with mixed emotions. I am a workaholic – undeniably. And what makes the matter worse is that I really do love what I do. I love my job, I love the company that I work for, and for the most part I love the people that I work with. Being a workaholic for my whole adult life (I started my career fairly young) my work is also a large part of my identity. It’s more than a 9-5 for me.

I was leaving the comfortable environment of my career – something that I wrap around myself like a blanket – for the unknown, challenging, not-sure-if-I-can-cut-this world of mommy-hood. I don’t know what to expect with the next stage of my life. I don’t have control anymore. This terrifies me.

I left the office yesterday feeling relieved that work was behind me, encouraged about the new time I will have to unwind and get organized, and scared shit-less about new journey. Most of all I have no idea what to do with myself. I cried a little on the highway.

So now it’s official. There’s no turning back. Here comes the baby.

~ humps

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting :) You're a trooper for working up to 38 weeks!

I think you should give us another belly pic before baby Curry gets here :p

And if you like working, you'll love having a newborn... hehe!

Anonymous said...

It is hard leaving work when you've spent so much time devoted to it but, once you see that little face, you'll be glad that you get a whole year to spend with the baby. Plus, taking care of a newborn is like a full-time job with all the feedings and diaper changes LOL

humpsNbump on 8:52:00 AM said...

VeryGoodYear -

Great suggest about the belly shot. I really should get another one up before the baby arrives. Stay tuned for that.

~ humps

humpsNbump on 8:52:00 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
humpsNbump on 8:53:00 AM said...

DarkFairyMomma -

Don't I know it! Being a mommy is a full time job. Looking forward to the next year with the baby. You just can't get that time back.

~ humps

Tara on 10:40:00 PM said...

Wow. Encouraged to take a whole year off? That's crazy and I love it!

I "only" got 12 weeks with my second. With my first I was still in college, so about six weeks postpartum guess who was taking classes and still trying to function? Yup, that would've been me.

So please make sure to enjoy this time. My maternity leave FLEW by and there are plenty of days where I wish I had that time back. Don't think about work, don't worry about the house or the mess or anything. Just pay attention to the baby and have a great time learning about your little one!

Tara
http://theyoungmommylife.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com Distributed by Deluxe Templates