November 27, 2008

Life


Yesterday I lost a friend suddenly. He died of a brain aneurysm that was unexpected. It took all of us by surprise. He was only 34.

I was very fortunate to be at the hospital for most of the day yesterday to see him while in a coma, and to say goodbye after he was pronounced dead. He was in the hospital for less than 24 hours before he passed. I would say that there were over 50 people during the course of the day, from family, to friends, to coworkers who were lending their support and comforting each other. It was all very difficult and I still can’t believe what has happened.

How could I complain about a bad day at work, about not feeling well, about the trivial things in life when I am still here to see another day? How could I complain when there are people that are saying goodbye to brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, fathers and mothers? As much I was upset, I could not imagine being in the shoes of his family.

I certainly don’t want to get into the details here. I feel like I have told fragments of the story so many times in the last 24 hours - trying to let various people know what happened.

The key reason why I wanted to write about this was, other than the fact that it so personally and deeply affected me, is that it really helped to reinforce how precious life is. You have to cherish the time that you have with those that you care about, because you never know how few moments that you will have with that person.

I feel so lucky in my life to have people that I love and to have people that love me. I am so lucky to be having this baby. What a miracle to be creating a life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost a friend. It must have been a very strange sensation to know you have a new life growing inside of you, even as you said goodbye. My thoughts are with you!

humpsNbump on 5:25:00 PM said...

Thank you.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com Distributed by Deluxe Templates