September 1, 2008

Maternal Instincts


So this weekend I did it. Perhaps the scariest thing for an unwed, career-driven, admittedly self-absorbed young woman to do: Tell her mommy that she’s having a baby.

I love my mom. As an only child, I feel that we have an amazing connection. We may fight and get annoyed with each other, I don’t call as much as I’m suppose to, or go to visit her often enough (she is only about 45 minutes away), but at the end of the day I know just how remarkable she is.

As soon as I found out I was prego there was a resounding thought, “I want my mommy!” I wanted to tell her right away. But although I knew she would be supportive and encouraging and helpful throughout this change in my life, I expected the worse from her first reaction. In truth, I expected a lethal combination of anger, disappointment, rage, confusion, and disgust.

It didn’t turn out like that at all. I waited all day for the perfect opportunity. I even sweetened the mood with some Diary Queen before dropping the pregnancy bomb. Mama bear was amazingly supportive.

I replay the discussion to the BF and BFF later that night and they were both shocked, knowing my high level of anxiety going in. I retold exactly what I said, my rambling about the situation, her response about making sure I was taking care of myself and healthy, her love for me and reassurance that if I’m happy than so it she. Amazing.

The entire situation says one thing to me. If I can be half the mom that mine is to me, I can handle this. There is no one more amazing than her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com Distributed by Deluxe Templates